Spine2D or Live2d for those gorge animations?!?
Herald - An Interactive Period Drama - Book I & II
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Herald is a choice-driven adventure game set during an alternate 19th century in which the West is united as a colonial superpower: the Protectorate.
You are Devan Rensburg, a man of mixed heritage living in an alternate 19th century. You were born in the eastern colonies - but raised in the west, In search of your roots, you booked passage on board of the HLV Herald, a 'Protectorian' ship set for your country of birth.
During your voyage, news of colonial unrest created tensions between the diverse crew and passengers.
Months later you alone are dragged ashore. No ship, no crew. All that remains is you, your journal and a captain's coat you were wearing. A mysterious woman is holding you captive and demands you to tell her what happened to 'your' ship. What you tell her, is your choice.
Book I & II are available as the base game and together contain about 4 hours of gameplay. Each Book has its own narrative arc. Book III and IV are still in production and will be released at a later date as episodic content.
- A branching narrative that changes depending on how you decide to play. Do you choose to be bold and stand up for the downtrodden, or would pleasing the elite be the safer and smarter choice?
- Uncover all of the secrets aboard the merchant clipper Herald, as you explore its many nooks and crannies.
- The Herald is a microcosm of 19th century society. The crew and passengers all have their own dark secrets and often use sly coercion to convince Devan to help them. But who can you trust?
- Herald's diverse cast of characters is brought to life by beautifully animated portraits, and the performances of thirteen talented voice actors.
- Herald is set during an alternate 1857 in which the West has been united as a single global superpower: the Protectorate. Governed not by kings but by an elected 'Lord Protector', the Protectorians believe they are morally superior. But are they?
- A gripping tale about finding your place in a world divided by race, class and culture.
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $9.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
Which engine you're used in development? Have you got some plans to add controller support?
We used Unity to create Herald! We're currently looking into controller support but we can not make any promises yet on if or when we'll patch it in. We'll be sure to let people know once we do! :)
We do have keyboard support for going through the dialogues.